Search

Thursday, December 10, 2009

The right Trek

Maybe I stepped in with the wrong foot. Cameltoe for starters, It's a bit too cruel. Well I just finished watching Star Trek the movie. It was good. I mean, It was great! Not as what I expected.


An eight out of ten.

But what I think could be a little too simple might be the costumes of the good team flying the USS Enterprise. Wool sweaters, different colours? I have never watched Star Trek since I was 7, and running around with my eyes covered with my school hair-band pretending to the black crew in the series (by the way, what happened to that guy?). So I'm assuming this movie is the pre-quel of the series era.

But according to JJ Abrams, the costume designer for the movie (who btw had never watched Star Trek prior to the job offer) expressed his feelings regarding many “futuristic movies,” and the fact that he simply didn’t buy it when a new colony of people would be dressed in Biblical, Greek, Roman or Egyptian costumes.

Working with Star Trek's old costume designer, Michael Kaplan who loved the idea of Abrams's 'new eyes' they both agreed on giving the crews a more sophisticated look. While maintaining the 60's feel to it.

"I wanted to do something more sophisticated than they had done on the TV series, so I created a new fabric where a pattern of the boomerang logo was utilized. You’ll also see that there is now a black shirt that’s a part of the uniform. Back on the TV show, it was all one piece. This is like the undershirt and uniform is on top of that. It made sense to me that the uniform would have an undershirt, and that it would still be consistent. The shirt is a dark charcoal gray, as are the pants, and the color of the jumpers describe what that person’s job is."

To those wanting to apply the Star Trek look at work or play, try Pierre Cardin's 'Space Age' look in the 60's. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

60's (1) Apartment (1) Art (2) ASF (2) Birds (1) Boutique (7) Camera (1) Colours (1) Fashion (5) Film (1) Hairstyle (1) Idea (1) Ideas (2) Magazine (1) Movies (2) Photography (1) Pixie (1) Polaroid (1)